Sunday, November 11, 2012

Portland 11.10.2012

Portland is technically not in my own backyard. Its a 16 hr drive north or a 2.5 hour flight from Los Angeles, but I'm staying here for interviews this weekend. Its a potential backyard, because if I love the program, I might end up moving north. Its colder here (today was in the high 40s) but going to undergrad at Berkeley prepared me well for the cold. It doesn't hurt to have a wool trenchcoat and scarf either.
-->

Today, I am staying with my friends who live in a neighboring city in Washington state, only 30 minutes north of Portland. Apparently, she has the best of both worlds, as Oregon as no sales tax and Wash doesn't have income tax.



I find the vibe here similar to San Francisco. Hipster-ish, lots of local breweries, bars, and restaurants. Lots of outdoorsy stuff (hiking, biking). Portland is surrounded by waterways and bays and has many bridges to go in and out of the city...which is alot like SF. Very conscious of organic food and no shortage of vegan/veggie friendly places to dine. People are more laid back and down to earth. I feel at home here. If only Portland could move to CA....


 We started off our day going to weekly saturday markets, filled with arts and crafts vendors. They also have many ethnic food stands that run the gamet from pizza to china food to pho to gyros. Many local breweries sell alcohol adding additional fun beverage selections.


You can't visit Portland without going to Voodoo Donuts. They have very inventive donuts creations. Renowned for their bacon maple bar and vooddo shaped jelly donuts. If you love chocolate covered bacon, then you'll love the bacon maple bar. My only complaint is that I would eat the bacon without the donut sometimes so you couldn't get that salty-sweet combo they strive for. Maybe bacon bits as a solution?? I've learned they're open 24 hours..nice alternative for a late night munchie. FYI, for those looking for a cheap wedding, Voodoo donuts is the place. For $10, you can get married by an ordained minister (available in each location). Man..if I only knew..how much money I could have saved...





Next on our tour was Powell Books, an amazing used/new bookstore that covers an entire city block. Has six floors of books on any topic you can imagine. I required a map to find my way. Good thing sections are color coded, making finding your way a bit easier.


Portland's slogan is "Keep Portland Weird" And it certainly is. In my day here, I've find some strange street performers, sculptures, and people walking down the street with their cat or dog perched on his shoulder. I don't how "weird" is it compared to SF, but i'm willing to come back and find out.

Local restaurants and breweries are BIG here. I walked down one block and spotted at least 5 gastropubs. I spotted this brewery tour cycle?? where patrons ride from one brewery to the next while drinking. Strange concept...
Keeping with the theme of local businesses, I was introduced to a McMenamins restaurant. This group restores historic buildings in the area and converts them to restaurants, breweries, etc. Such an awesome concept preserving local history. The particular restaurant I visited was
 called Kennedy School which is a local hotel with bars and restaurants in a reconverted elementary school. Old classroom serve as suites and assembly rooms are banquet rooms. Who knows, maybe the old cafeteria is the Courtyard Restaurant where I had a lovely meal of fish and chips with yummy locally brewed McMenamins Ruby Ale (raspberry flavored, but less sweet than framboise).  Would definitely like to visit their other establishments.



Until the next adventure,
cutiee23

p.s. any suggestions on what else to do in Portland?? Leave a Comment!!!


Links:
Portland Saturday Market
Voodoo Donuts
Powells Books
Mcmenamins 

No comments:

Post a Comment