Friday, November 16, 2012

Air BnB: cheaper alternative to hotels




With all my recent travel, costs are adding up fast. I never realized how a simple weekend trip can get pricy...once you add the cost of flight, rental car, hotel, gas, food...etc. For my last trip to Oregon, I was lucky to spend one day @ a friend's house. For the other night, I used a new website from one of my fave blogs( Rent Food Broke). Air BnB consists of people who rent out spare rooms or even their whole house/apt. Depending on the area, you can get cheaper lodging and a local guide. They can point you to the best restaurants or give hints about living there. The second point is more important to me since I'm interviewing for residency.

As a woman traveler, I was concerned about safety, but after my first pleasant experience this past weekend, the website is now added to my arsenal of travel websites.

Here's important tips to maximize safety:

1. I prefer choosing hosts that have positive comments. The website is set up so only guests who booked via the website can leave comments after their stay. I doubt they can inflate their profile by adding fake comments.

2. Hosts (as well as guests) can have their phone numbers and facebook profile verified.

3. Profiles are key. You can at least get a basic idea of who you are staying with. The more info the better.

4. Don't hesitate to ask questions before booking.

5. I made sure my hubby and friend knew where I was staying and made sure to check in with them.

 Hope that helps save costs when you have to travel.

Until my next adventure,
cutiee23

No comments:

Post a Comment